Solicitor and senior investigator with significant experience in law, regulation, governance, and professional conduct. Competent and conscientious problem-solver. Trained in evidence gathering and analysis. Expert in leading complex investigations and writing clear reports. Adept at managing and progressing a personal caseload. Articulate communicator able to engage people at all levels. Founding member of the Midlands Asian Lawyers Association and former President of the Leicestershire Junior Lawyers Division. Record of public service and community volunteering, including serving as a councillor and school governor.
Solicitor and Senior Investigations Officer at ACCA
Lead Investigator at the Independent Office for Police Conduct
- Conducted serious and sensitive investigations into alleged police misconduct and/or criminality i.e. deaths in custody, abuse of power by officers, historic failures to investigate child sexual abuse etc.
- Ownership of investigations from start to finish – including setting tasks and supervising investigators – culminating in written final reports with recommendations, usually sent to police forces and prosecutors.
- Elected as national head of the staff association for four years. Managed a team of 16 officials, and represented the interests of 1,000+ colleagues across seven offices in England and Wales. Worked constructively with IOPC management and HR to solve employment disputes and implement change.
City Councillor at Leicester City Council
- Elected councillor for Beaumont Leys. Managed a diary of casework to solve problems for constituents. Served on the planning committee and participated in full council debates. Stood for parliament in 2015.
Solicitor at Richard Nelson LLP
- Instructed in multimillion pound fraud cases and other defence matters including mortgage fraud, VAT fraud, theft, false accounting, POCA confiscation of assets, plus criminal cases such as sexual assault.
- Defended in professional misconduct cases brought by the GMC, SRA, NMC, and other regulators.
Board Member at the Leicestershire Police Authority
- Worked with 16 colleagues on the board to hold the force and chief constable to account. The board had collective responsibility for approving the annual budget and setting the policing plan for Leicestershire.
Solicitor at Cartwright King
- Defended in financial crime cases including fraud, false accounting, theft, cash seizures, POCA confiscation of assets, as well as regulatory matters brought by local authorities, HMRC and others.
- Instigated civil actions against the police and public authorities in human rights and discrimination cases. Also acted on behalf of the Police Federation to defend police officers facing misconduct proceedings.
(Multiple earlier roles not listed)
Deputy Chair at Leicester Conservatives
President at the Leicestershire Junior Lawyers Division
Committee Member at the Midlands Asian Lawyers Association
Member of Court at the University of Leicester
Company Director and Charity Trustee at the Cooke e-Learning Foundation
Independent Custody Visitor at the Leicestershire Police Authority
School Governor at Soar Valley College
School Governor at Beaumont Lodge Primary School
Public Affairs Secretary at the Hindu Forum of Britain
Member of the Public and Patient Health Forum at Leicester NHS
Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
Member of the National Junior Lawyers Division
Member of the Leicestershire Junior Lawyers Division
Member of the Midlands Asian Lawyers Association
Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (PgDip) – De Montfort Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (GDip) – De Montfort Law School
Degree in Politics and Contemporary History (BSc Hons) – Brunel University
A Levels in Law, Business, Psychology – Regent College
GCSEs in 10 subjects – Babington Community College